FedEx Ground Shipping Time
November 30, 2022
Ground shipping is the delivery of packages by land or rail. Many businesses, particularly e-commerce merchants, are using this service amid the rise of carriers and logistics firms that offer next-day or two-day shipping.
Today, instant gratification has become the norm. Therefore, sellers compete to reach their customers in the fastest way possible to be ahead of their game.
Statistics indicate that nearly 50% of shoppers said that same-day delivery encourages them to shop online. Meanwhile, 65% of consumers said they are willing to pay more for faster delivery.
Considering that 90% of consumers use two- or three-day shipping as their baseline, most businesses would need a fast and reliable service provider to transport their products.
Federal Express (FedEx) is one of the top couriers in the industry. The company offers various shipping options to reach any point in the United States.
One of their services is the cost-effective FedEx Ground, which partners with 6,000 contractors in the U.S. and Canada.
What is FedEx Ground shipping, and how soon can recipients get their package through this service? What are the unique features of FedEx Ground shipping, and how does it compare with other FedEx shipping modes?
This article discusses this FedEx delivery service and how customers can take advantage of its delivery speed.
FindPostOffice.org understands that you are looking for the most efficient solutions for your personal or business needs. Our blog offers various topics on delivery options for your letters and packages.
What Is FedEx Ground Shipping?
The FedEx Ground business unit came into existence after the merger of FedEx—known for its overnight Express air courier service—and Roadway Package System in 2000.
The company’s market share expanded in a few years, cornering 14% of ground shipping services in 2002 and 32.5% by 2015.
Why Use FedEx Ground?
FedEx Ground can deliver packages weighing up to 150 pounds to any business or commercial address in the United States from Mondays to Fridays between 8 AM to 8 PM.
FedEx Transit Times: How Long Does FedEx Ground Shipping Take?
How soon FedEx Ground can bring your package to its intended recipient depends on how far the destination is. The transit time is shorter in the contiguous United States than in the continental U.S.
What Is the Transit Time for Shipping Within the Contiguous U.S.?
FedEx Ground delivers anywhere within the contiguous United States in one to five business days.
What Is the Transit Time for Shipping to or From the Contiguous U.S. to or From Alaska or Hawaii?
Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii takes three to seven business days.
About FedEx Delivery Times: How Does FedEx Calculate Estimated Delivery Time?
The distance of the destination from the point of your package’s origin can affect its arrival date. You can determine the estimated delivery time (EDT) of packages by using the following tools:
FedEx Ground Service Map
FedEx Ground Service Maps lets you know how fast your shipments can arrive at your recipient’s address when you type in the zip code.
“Get Transit Times” Webpage
One of the tools is the “Get Transit Times” page of the FedEx website. This page will ask you to enter your location, the destination of your package, the date when you sent it, and its weight. The EDT will appear after you click the “Get Transit Time” button.
Customize When Your Shipment Arrives
FedEx also allows you to set the arrival date of your shipment. This feature can help ensure that your intended recipients will be around when the delivery staff reaches the receiver’s location. You can find the list of options for this service below.
How to Schedule or Change Delivery Time FedEx
You can schedule a delivery time for your package by using FedEx Delivery Manager. Registration for this specific service is free, but choosing a delivery date for a package will require you to pay a fee.
Besides setting the delivery date, the Delivery Manager allows you to track your package and receive alerts via the service’s mobile app and email.
You may also opt to “redirect” or pick up your package from a FedEx pickup retail location nearest to you if you want to ensure its safety from the elements or theft. Besides FedEx offices, alternative pickup spots include Walgreens and Dollar General outlets.
The FedEx Delivery Manager also sends customers a picture showing where the FedEx driver left their package as proof of delivery. This image can reduce delivery disputes about missing shipments and fraudulent claims for product replacements.
Tracking Your Ground Shipment
Track your FedEx Ground shipment using any of these services:
- FedEx Tracking – You can go to the FedEx website’s “Tracking Starts Here” page and enter your package’s tracking number to determine its status. You can follow the status of up to 30 packages on this page.
- FedEx Advanced Tracking – To track up to 20,000 shipments—whether as a buyer or seller—you can register for FedEx Advanced Tracking, which allows you to view your packages through a customizable dashboard.
- FedEx Insight – If you want a tool that can generate reports of both inbound and outbound shipments that you are tracking, sign up for FedEx Insight.
This feature lets you invite others, such as a work colleague or customer, to view shipment information on demand. You can remove their access when you need to.
Delivery Details: Package Weight and Size Limits
FedEx Ground shipping is your best option when delivering packages that weigh up to 150 pounds and are up to 108 inches in length. FedEx Ground shipping service also accepts packages with a length and girth of up to 165 inches.
You get the girth of your package by using this formula: length + (width x 2) + (height x 2).
Calculate Your Ground Shipping Rates
You can use the courier’s Rates Tool to determine how much you need to pay to deliver your FedEx Ground package.
The tool shows your shipping rate after you enter your location in the “From” field and the delivery area in the “To” field.
Four factors affect the price you pay for your FedEx Ground shipment:
- Package size and weight – FedEx asks you to pay according to the actual weight of a package or its dimensional weight, whichever is higher.
The dimensional or “dim” weight refers to the amount of space a package occupies relative to its weight. In dim weight pricing, you can pay at a lower cost by eliminating unnecessary packaging and cushioning.
To get the dim weight of a package, first get its cubic size by rounding off its length, width, and height to the nearest whole inch and multiplying the three factors (L x W x H). Then divide the resulting cubic size by 139.
- Distance to reach the destination – The price of your shipment depends on how many ground shipping zones FedEx will pass through to reach your recipient’s address. Therefore, the more zones your package crosses, the higher your payment will be.
- Type of address – FedEx Ground caters to businesses. You pay a $4 surcharge for residential deliveries using the Ground shipping service.
- Country destination – Canada-bound packages are subject to taxes and duties, unlike items you send within the U.S.
How Can I Save on FedEx Ground Shipping?
You can choose any of the following steps to lower your payments for FedEx Ground shipments:
- Join My FedEx Rewards. Register with FedEx’s rewards program to earn bonuses and gift cards from top retailers and for using FedEx Ground, printing, and other services.
- Open a FedEx business account. Opening a FedEx business account makes you eligible for a 15% discount on FedEx Ground, Home Delivery, and other services.
- Pick up your package from a FedEx retail location. You avoid paying the $4 surcharge per package when you ask FedEx to drop the parcel off at a retail location near you instead of a home address.
Sending Several Packages to the Same Place
When shipping several packages to a single address from one point of origin via FedEx Ground, you can choose the FedEx Multiweight service to get a better price.
In multiweight pricing, FedEx compares the price of transporting all your packages as a single shipment and the cost of sending the packages separately. Then the courier bills you according to the lower price between the two options.
For domestic shipping, the total weight of all your packages must reach at least 200 pounds, with every parcel having an average weight of 15 to 25 pounds or 150 pounds at most.
When using the service for sending packages to Canada, the total weight of all the packages should reach at least 150 pounds. Each package’s average and maximum weight is the same as the range and limits for domestic shipments.
The maximum length plus girth for domestic packages should be 165 inches and 130 inches for international packages.
How Do I Get My Ground Packages to FedEx?
You can choose from the following options to start sending your shipment on the way to its destination:
- Create a FedEx account so that the courier’s staff can pick up your packages. You can schedule a one-time pickup or set a recurring pickup schedule by enrolling with the FedEx Ground Automated Pickup service, which costs $15 per week.
- Take your package to a FedEx office location or the company’s designated partners, which include selected branches of Dollar General, Walgreens, Walmart, Office Depot, and OfficeMax.
Are There Any Exceptions to FedEx Ground That I Should Know About?
When using FedEx Ground shipping, note these two main limitations of the service:
- Hazardous materials
FedEx Ground only allows the delivery of hazardous materials (hazmat) in the contiguous U.S. The courier has a table of hazardous products, mainly explosive, flammable, and poisonous items.
Specifically, you cannot send packages containing ammunition, small arms, and cartridge power devices to Canada.
FedEx has an approval process for you to become an eligible shipper of the mentioned products. The company also has a guide for FedEx Ground shippers that covers documentation and packaging requirements.
- Post office box deliveries
You cannot use FedEx Ground shipping to bring packages to a P.O. box. Instead, choose a FedEx retail office as your destination.
Compare FedEx Ground With Other Shipping Options
FedEx has other land-based shipping services you can consider. FedEx Home Delivery and FedEx Ground Economy are two other options you can consider.
Let us compare FedEx Ground shipping with these two alternative methods.
What Is the Difference Between FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery?
FedEx Home Delivery is part of the FedEx Ground network. However, unlike the courier’s Ground shipping service, Home Delivery is not limited to business locations and weekdays.
What Is FedEx Home Delivery?
FedEx Home Delivery covers residential addresses and transports packages daily, including Saturdays and Sundays.
However, shippers have to pay a $4 surcharge and packages must weigh 150 pounds or less.
How Long Does FedEx Home Delivery Take?
FedEx Home Delivery can deliver within one to five days in the contiguous U.S. Shipping time to and from Alaska and Hawaii can take three to seven days . This shipping service allows evening and appointment delivery.
When to Use FedEx Home Delivery
FedEx Home Delivery is the ideal service for sending packages to a home address. Choose this residential shipping option when you prefer:
- Weekend deliveries
Compared to rival UPS Ground, FedEx Home Delivery is in charge of package delivery to 80% of households on Sundays.
FedEx home Delivery is a service that the courier launched in 2020. This service also accepts pickups on this day and Saturdays.
- An evening delivery
FedEx Evening Home Delivery runs from 5 PM to 8 PM.
- A specific delivery date
You can choose the date of your package’s arrival through the FedEx Date Certain Home Delivery service. You can select a date within 10 days of FedEx’s standard delivery date but not before that and not on holidays.
- A FedEx call before delivery to a recipient
FedEx Appointment Home Delivery can call the recipient of a package in advance to schedule the delivery. The receiver may also use FedEx Delivery Manager to leave instructions to the delivery staff.
What Is the FedEx Home Delivery Weight Limit?
Like FedEx Ground shipping, the weight limit for FedEx Home Delivery is 150 pounds. The service also limits package lengths to 108 inches. The maximum length and girth are the same as Ground shipping at 165 inches.
Can I Ship Hazardous Materials With FedEx Home Delivery?
As mentioned earlier, FedEx requires shippers of hazardous materials to undergo an approval process and training. These products also require special markings during shipping.
What Is FedEx Ground Economy?
FedEx Ground Economy was the former name of FedEx’s SmartPost service.
This shipping service is ideal for sending packages weighing up to 70lbs. The length-plus-girth limit for Ground Economy packages is 130 inches.
However, shippers using FedEx Ground Economy cannot redirect their packages for pickup at a FedEx location.
How Long Does FedEx Ground Economy Take?
The transit time for FedEx Ground Economy is two to seven business days.
FedEx staff can deliver packages from Monday to Sunday. Recipients outside the contiguous U.S. states will have to expect longer delivery times.
Can FedEx Ground Ship Hazardous Materials?
The FedEx Ground Economy does not deliver hazardous materials, unlike FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery.
FedEx Ground Economy Returns
If you own a physical or online store, you can use FedEx Ground Economy Returns to gain your customers’ trust.
You can contact FedEx sales support staff so that your packages will come with prepaid return shipping labels that you or your potential customers can use in case of returns.
1. What does FedEx mean by “end of day”?
When FedEx says it will deliver by the “end of the day,” you can expect your package before 8 PM, which is the delivery cutoff of its Home Delivery Service.
2. What happens if you miss FedEx delivery times?
FedEx will deliver your package to its nearest office or participating retail location when the courier cannot leave it at a residential address. You can then go to the FedEx office or partner store the following day for pickup.
FedEx can hold the package for you up to seven days from the missed delivery attempt before returning it to the shipper or turning it over to a FedEx facility.
3. What is a FedEx door tag?
If you are not around to accept a delivery, FedEx leaves a door tag at your home. The paper notification contains a door tag number and the steps to follow so you can locate your package.
You can use the FedEx Delivery Manager to contact the courier and inform them when you are physically present for their second delivery attempt, which is usually the next day.
4. My recipient will not be home during the day to accept the delivery. What can I do?
FedEx Evening Home Delivery allows you to set the delivery of your package from 5 PM to 8 PM if the recipient is not available during the daytime.
5. My recipient wants to know exactly when the shipment will be delivered. What can I do?
You can choose the FedEx Appointment Home Delivery so that the courier can call the recipient ahead of time and agree on the specific time for the delivery.
Another option is to use the FedEx Delivery Manager, which allows the receiver to choose their delivery date and time.
6. My recipients need their packages delivered by a specific date. What can I do?
FedEx Date Certain Home Delivery lets you choose a specific delivery date for your package any day of the week—except on holidays—until 10 days from the pickup date. However, FedEx cannot deliver earlier than the standard delivery date.
7. Can FedEx Ground ship to P.O. boxes?
No. The FedEx Ground service does not cover shipping to P.O. box locations.
8. Can FedEx Ground ship hazardous materials?
You can ship hazardous materials via the FedEx Ground service if the destination is within the contiguous U.S.
9. What time does FedEx Home Delivery deliver?
FedEx Home Delivery staff can deliver your packages between 8 AM to 8 PM.
10. How late does FedEx Home Delivery deliver?
FedEx Home Delivery can deliver until 8 PM through its Evening Home Delivery service.
11. Does FedEx Home Delivery deliver on Saturdays?
Yes, it does.
12. Does FedEx Home Delivery deliver on Sundays?
Yes, it does.
13. Can FedEx Home Delivery Ship To P.O. Boxes?
No. The FedEx Home Delivery service does not cover shipping to P.O. box locations.
14. What is FedEx SmartPost? Are FedEx Ground Economy and FedEx SmartPost the same service?
FedEx SmartPost is the original name of FedEx Ground Economy, with the rebranding taking effect in May 2022. FedEx Ground Economy can ship packages of up to 70lbs to P.O. boxes. FedEx partners with USPS to deliver to domestic post office addresses.
FedEx Ground Economy can also ship to Puerto Rico and the following U.S. territories as U.S. domestic locations: American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands, Republic of Palau, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
15. What is the difference between FedEx Express and FedEx Ground?
FedEx Express is the courier’s fastest service, offering next-day and two to three-day deliveries across the U.S.
16. Which is faster: FedEx Express or FedEx Ground?
FedEx Express can deliver sooner than FedEx Ground as they can ship out packages the day after picking them up from the sender’s location or a FedEx office.
However, the package should be in FedEx’s hands before the courier’s overnight cutoff time. You can call the courier’s outlet or participating store to verify cutoff hours.
17. Does FedEx 2-day arrive by air or ground?
The mode of transport used for FedEx 2-Day shipping (delivery within two business days) depends on the weight of your delivery. For packages weighing more than 150 pounds, you can ship by air via FedEx 2Day Freight.
FedEx 2-Day is one of the shipping methods via FedEx Express. Other Express shipping services include FedEx Overnight (next-business-day delivery) and FedEx Express Saver (three-day shipping with a delivery cutoff of 4:30 PM).
- FedEx Ground’s Remarkable Ride to the Top
- Save 20% on FedEx Ground®
- FedEx Ground® Service Maps
- Get Transit Times
- How can I schedule a delivery time for my package?
- Take more control of your deliveries with FedEx Delivery Manager®
- Picture proof of delivery
- Tracking starts here
- Customize, manage, and track your shipments
- FedEx InSight
- Calculate FedEx shipping rates.
- What is dimensional weight?
- Join My FedEx Rewards
- My FedEx Rewards Frequently Asked Questions
- Open a free account for discounts on shipping and more
- Save automatically with FedEx multiweight pricing
- FedEx pickup options
- FedExExpress & FedEx Ground Automated Pickup
- Fast and easy package drop off
- In-store shipping services near you
- FedEx Ground Hazardous Materials Table
- Hazardous Materials (FedEx Ground): How To Ship
- FedEx Ground Hazardous Materials Shipping Guide
- FedEx Home Delivery
- Weekends count. That’s why we deliver on Saturday and Sunday.
- How to Ship Hazardous Materials
- FedEx Ground® Economy shipping
- Tracking and managing your FedEx deliveries
- FedEx customer service: Welcome to the FAQ Hub
- FedEx APIs – FedEx Ground Economy (FGE) Announcements
- FedEx Ground® Economy Guide
- Fast, Time-Definite Shipping With FedEx Express
- Save 40% on FedEx Express
- FedEx 2 day shipping