FedEx Box Sizes
November 14, 2023
Imagine you’re an eCommerce business selling luxury goods like handcrafted jewelry, ceramic dinnerware, or designer clothes. A customer orders one of the most expensive items from your catalog, and you ship it to them.
Now, the last thing you would probably want is for that precious cargo to endure a rough journey and arrive at the buyer’s doorstep damaged or broken. In a scenario where it does, you’ll lose credibility and potential customers.
Whether you’re a flourishing business or an individual sending a sentimental gift to a loved one, choosing the appropriate container for your shipments ensures they’re protected during transit and arrive at their destination in excellent condition.
This article discusses FedEx box sizes, exploring the options available to cater to various shipping needs.
Are you ready to transport your packages? Visit FindPostOffice.org to find your area’s nearest post office location.
Picking the appropriate packaging is crucial to ensuring your shipments arrive at their destination safely. Fortunately, FedEx offers various packaging options tailored to meet various shipping needs.
The Different Types of FedEx Boxes: What Are the Sizes of FedEx Boxes?
Whether you’re sending small items or bulky goods, the different FedEx box sizes and their characteristics give you a packaging option that can align perfectly with your shipping needs.
Here are some of FedEx’s box sizes:
FedEx Small Box (S1: Rectangular and Shallow in Shape)
The FedEx Small Box is a convenient self-assembly box suitable for shipping small items such as a reel of magnetic tape, small documents, CDs, and file folders.
The FedEx Small Box measures 12.25” x 10.9” x 1.5” and has a maximum weight limit of 20lbs.
FedEx Medium Box (M1: Rectangular and Shallow in Shape)
Designed for larger documents, binders, or books, the FedEx Medium Box ensures secure shipping. It measures 13.25” x 11.5” x 2.38” and a maximum weight limit of 20lbs.
FedEx Medium Box (M2: Rectangular and Deep in Shape)
If you need a medium-sized box that offers additional depth, you can choose the FedEx Medium Box (M2). It has inside dimensions of 8.75″ x 4.37″ x 11.83″ and a weight limit of 20lbs.
FedEx Large Box (L1: Rectangular and Shallow in Shape)
If you’re shipping side-by-side paper stacks, small parts, soft goods, or oversized binders, the FedEx Large Box (L1) is the perfect fit. This container measures 17.88” x 12.38” x 3” and has a weight limit of 30lbs.
FedEx Large Box (L2: Square and Deep in Shape)
Like its medium boxes, FedEx also provides variation for its large containers. With inside dimensions of 8.37″ x 11.31” x 7.75”, the FedEx Large Box (L2) offers ample space for housewares, small parts, sports accessories, and toys. It has a weight limit of 30lbs.
FedEx Extra Large Box (X2: Rectangular-Shaped)
For handbags, trays, soft goods, or rectangular-shaped items, the FedEx Extra Large Box (X2) is the ideal choice. While this box may not be currently available in the FedEx store, other shipping companies measure it at 15.75″ x 14.18″ x 6″ with a weight limit of 50lbs.
Perfect for shipping items better off rolled than folded, such as fabric samples, posters, and blueprints, the FedEx Tube has inside dimensions of 38” x 6” x 6” x 6” and a weight limit of 20lbs.
FedEx A4 Box
If you’re shipping A4-sized documents and items internationally, the FedEx A4 Box is the way to go. It measures 18.18” x 13.74” x 3” and has a maximum weight limit of 19.84lbs.
FedEx 10kg Box
For cost-effective fixed-rate shipping with a double-walled design for additional security, FedEx offers its 10kg Box. The FedEx 10kg Box’s dimensions are 15.81” x 12.94” x 10.19”. Your items must be under 10kg or 22lbs to qualify for flat-rate pricing.
FedEx 25kg Box
A strong and water-resistant container, the FedEx 25kg Box ensures your shipments arrive in excellent condition. This box measures 21.56” x 16.56” x 13.19” and allows you to send a package weighing up to 55lbs.
Like the 10kg box, your mailpiece must weigh under 55lbs or 25kg for your FedEx 25kg Box to qualify for flat rate shipping. Otherwise, additional rates will apply to your shipment.
Which FedEx Box Will Suit Your Needs?
With multiple FedEx boxes available, selecting the ideal one for your shipment can be a head-scratcher.
Several factors come into play when making this decision, including the following:
- The type of items you’re shipping
- The courier service you’re using
- The weight and size of the items
- Whether your mail items require any special packaging
How Much Does It Cost?
The shipping cost with FedEx depends on various factors, including the box size, weight, shipping destination, and service level. Additionally, like other major carriers, FedEx considers your package’s dimensional weight (DIM) when determining the shipping cost.
Your shipment’s DIM refers to its cubic size. To calculate your mailpiece’s DIM, multiply the length by width by height. If the DIM exceeds the shipment’s actual weight, you’ll pay the cost of the former.
Fortunately, FedEx offers competitive pricing for its services and shipping supplies, allowing you to match your needs with your budget.
As of August 4, 2023, the FedEx box prices are as follows:
Standard Boxes Available In-Store at FedEx Office
|Dimensions||Box Price||Price With Packing||Price for Fragile Packaging|
|8” x 8” x 8”||$1.75||$5.49||$13.49|
|11” x 11” x 11”||$2.50||$7.49||$16.49|
|14” x 14” x 14”||$3.75||$9.49||$17.99|
|16” x 16” x 16”||$4.29||$13.49||$21.39|
|20” x 20” x 20”||$6.29||$17.99||$26.99|
|22” x 22” x 22”||$7.00||$18.99||$27.99|
|24” x 24” x 24”||$12.00||$21.99||$30.99|
|28” x 28” x 28”||$15.00||$26.99||$34.99|
|12” x 3” x 17.50”||$2.25||–||–|
|12” x 9” x 6”||$2.00||$6.49||$13.49|
|12” x 12” x 18”||$3.75||$9.49||$17.99|
|13” x 9” x 11”||$2.75||$7.49||$16.49|
|17” x 17” x 7”||$3.25||$11.49||$19.99|
|18” x 13” x 11.75”||$7.00||$12.49||$19.49|
|20” x 20” x 12”||$4.50||$14.99||$23.99|
|23” x 17” x 12”||$4.75||$14.49||$23.99|
|24” x 24” x 18”||$10.00||$18.99||$25.99|
Specialty Boxes Available In-Store at FedEx Office
|Specialty Box||Dimensions||Box Price||Price With Packing||Price for Fragile Packaging|
|Golf Bag Box||15” x 15” x 48”||$14.00||$26.99||$31.99|
|Golf Club Tube||50” x 9” x 9”||$7.50||$16.49||$23.99|
|Bike Box||54” x 8” x 28”||$16.00||$25.49||$31.99|
|Guitar Box||20” x 8” x 50”||$14.00||$20.49||$26.99|
|Two-Piece Telescoping Box||10” x 6” x (57” to 108”)||$10.00||$18.99||$23.99|
|Small Flat-Panel TV Box||38” x 8” x 26”||$15||–||$101.99|
|Medium Flat-Panel TV Box||46” x 8” x 30”||$20||–||$121.99|
|Large Flat-Panel TV Box||56” x 8” x 36”||$28||–||$141.99|
|Extra Small Framed Art Box with Airfloat System||14” x 19” x 2”||$45||–||$61.99|
|Small Framed Art Box with Airfloat System||19” x 24” x 2”||$65.00||–||$81.99|
|Medium Framed Art Box with Airfloat System||25” x 33” x 4”||$120.00||–||$135.49|
|Large Framed Art Box with Airfloat System||40” x 50” x 3”||$260.00||–||$281.49|
|Medium Framed Art Box||28” x 21” x 2.50”||$16.00||–||$22.49|
|Large Framed Art Box||44” x 32” 2.50”||$18.00||–||$24.49|
|Small Electronics Box||6.25” x 3.12” x 0.50”||$8.00||–||$11.99|
|Laptop Box with Kit||21” x 16” x 5”||$20.00||–||$26.99|
|Tablet Box||10.43” x 7.50 x 1”||$10.00||–||$13.99|
FedEx Flat-rate Shipping Boxes
|FedEx Envelope||9.50” x 12.50”||As low as $11.10|
|FedEx Pak||10.25” x 12.75”12” x 15.50”||As low as $11.45|
|Padded FedEx Pak||11.75” x 14.75”||As low as $11.45|
|FedEx Small Box||10.87” x 1.50” x 12.37”8.75” x 2.62” x 11.25||As low as $12.40|
|FedEx Medium Box||11.50” x 2.37” x 13.25”8.75” x 4.37” x 11.25”||As low as $16.50|
|FedEx Large Box||12.37” x 3” x 17.50”8.75” x 7.75” x 11.25”||As low as $24.95|
|FedEx Extra Large Box||11.87” x 10.75” x 11”15.75” x 14.12” x 11.25”||As low as $39.10|
|FedEx Tube||6” x 6” x 38”||As low as $39.10|
FedEx box prices can change periodically. For up-to-date information on its services and shipping supplies pricing, visit the official FedEx website at www.FedEx.com.
Alternatively, you can inquire about FedEx box prices at your local post office. Visit FindPostOffice.org to narrow the list of over 31,000 facilities to convenient ones in your area.
Can I Get Free FedEx Packing Supplies?
FedEx provides ready-to-use, self-sealing packing supplies in different shapes and sizes free of charge. You can claim these free shipping supplies by visiting a FedEx office or have FedEx drop off some by sending a request using your FedEx account.
What Are the Differences Between the White FedEx Boxes and Brown Boxes?
FedEx packaging comes in classic white and brown packaging options. White FedEx Express packaging offers twelve options for various shipment sizes and types. These options include envelopes, paks, tubes, and boxes, ranging from small to extra large.
The main benefit of choosing FedEx’s white boxes is that they don’t come with additional surcharges, making them an economical choice for your FedEx Express parcel shipments.
On the other hand, you must purchase FedEx’s brown packaging to get them. The benefit of using brown packaging options is the variety of sizes and shapes it comes in, including specialty boxes for guitars and artwork.
FedEx brown boxes are suitable for FedEx Express and FedEx Ground services. While they come at an additional cost, they offer flexibility and reliability for shipping your items.
What’s the Largest Size Box You Can Ship With FedEx?
Based on the shipping supplies FedEx offers, its 25kg box is the largest in terms of dimensions, coming in at a maximum size of 15.81” x 12.94” x 10.19”. That said, the biggest-sized box you can ship with FedEx depends on the specific service you’ll be using.
For instance, FedEx Express lets you ship a package up to 119” in length and 165” in length and girth. Conversely, FedEx Ground and Home Delivery shipments can be as large as 108” in length and 165” in length plus girth.
If you require additional information about maximum box sizes, read FedEx’s General Packing Guidelines. Conversely, you can visit your nearest post office, which you can find using FindPostOffice.org’s facility locator tool.
How to Pack FedEx Packages With Extra Protection
When shipping packages with FedEx, taking extra measures to ensure they’re well-protected during transit is essential.
Here are some valuable tips on how to pack FedEx packages with additional protection:
- Choose the appropriate box: Select a sturdy and appropriately sized box that comfortably accommodates your shipping item. Avoid using containers that are too big or too small, as they can increase the risk of damage during transit.
- Use sufficient cushioning: Use appropriate materials, such as bubble wrap or foam inserts, to safeguard your items. These materials can prevent your items from shifting and impacting during handling and shipping.
- Seal the box properly: Securely seal your package using strong packing tape. Reinforce the corners and edges with additional layers of tape to strengthen the box’s integrity, which can help keep it tightly sealed throughout the shipping journey.
- Label the box: A shipping label must include the recipient’s address, your return address, and any special handling instructions. A properly-labeled package helps ensure it reaches its intended destination promptly and with appropriate care.
- Use safe inserts: For high-value items like jewelry, you can use a FedEx Security Box or FedEx Box with Safe Insert. These additional security measures protect your mail items with combination or key locks that only you and the receiver can access.
Shipping Clinical Paks and Boxes for Non-infectious Items
If you require specialized packaging for non-infectious clinical samples under 7” x 4” x 2”, FedEx offers clinical paks that use plastic overwraps to prevent contamination or spillage during transit.
If you want more information on FedEx’s item restrictions, visit its website. Post offices may also have this information, and you can find a facility near your area with FindPostOffice.org’s locator tool.
What began as a 389-team company in 1973, FedEx (Federal Express) today is one of the U.S. and the globe’s most affordable shipping options, offering various simplified delivery solutions to fit every customer’s needs.
On April 17, 2023, FedEx celebrated its 50th anniversary, firmly cementing itself as one of the best shipping carriers alongside its rival UPS (United Parcel Service) and the government agency USPS (United States Postal Service).
While other companies also offer shipping solutions, FedEx stands out as one of the most exceptional choices for businesses and individuals, offering various benefits catering to diverse shipping needs.
Whether you’re sending a package across the vast expanse of the U.S. or need an international shipping option, here are some compelling reasons why you should choose FedEx:
- Wide range of services: FedEx provides a comprehensive range of shipping services, ensuring you can find the perfect solution for your specific requirements. FedEx has everything from express shipping for urgent deliveries to freight services for larger shipments.
- Reliable and fast delivery: FedEx has built a reputation for timely and dependable shipping, with options like next-business day, two-day, and three-day delivery.
- Extensive tracking capabilities: FedEx offers sophisticated real-time tracking, enabling shippers and recipients to monitor the progress of their shipments.
- Effective customs clearance: FedEx streamlines the customs clearance process for international shipments, making it efficient and hassle-free. This benefit helps avoid delays and ensures smoother cross-border transactions.
- Free packaging: Certain FedEx services include the added benefit of free packaging options, saving you the cost of purchasing packaging materials and ensuring your items are safe during transit.
- Competitive pricing: While shipping costs vary based on package size and destination, FedEx provides competitive service rates. For instance, the FedEx One Rate option offers flat rate pricing, making it a cost-effective choice for businesses of all sizes.
- Specialized services: FedEx goes beyond standard shipping and offers specialized services tailored to unique requirements. For instance, they provide temperature-controlled shipping for perishable goods and proprietary cold packaging ideal for food startups.
- Positive reputation: As one of the largest and most respected shipping carriers globally, FedEx has earned a solid reputation for delivering exceptional service. Opting for FedEx can enhance the customer experience and instill confidence in your business.
Shipping Services by FedEx
As mentioned, FedEx offers various shipping services, from FedEx Express for time-sensitive documents and packages to FedEx Ground for reliable, cost-effective delivery.
Here are the shipping options FedEx offers:
|Domestic Shipping||International Shipping|
|FedEx SameDay||FedEx International Next Flight|
|FedEx First Overnight||FedEx International First|
|FedEx Priority Overnight||FedEx International Priority|
|FedEx Standard Overnight||FedEx International Economy|
|FedEx 2Day AM||FedEx Internation Priority Express|
|FedEx 2Day||FedEx International Ground|
|FedEx Express Saver||FedEx International Priority Freight|
|FedEx Ground||FedEx International Economy Freight|
|FedEx Home Delivery||FedEx International Premium|
|FedEx SameDay Freight||FedEx International Controlled Export (FICE)|
|FedEx First Overnight Freight||–|
|FedEx 1Day Freight||–|
|FedEx 2Day Freight||–|
|FedEx 3Day Freight||–|
For more information on FedEx services, visit its official website. Alternatively, you can ask a postal service representative about FedEx shipping options in person, which FindPostOffice.org makes more straightforward by helping you find facilities in your area.
FedEx Boxes FAQs
- Do FedEx stores sell boxes?
FedEx stores sell a variety of box shapes and sizes suitable for packing, shipping, and moving.
- Does FedEx have insulated boxes?
For temperature-sensitive mail items, FedEx has cold shipping boxes. These containers have insulated packaging that can keep your mailpieces between 35.6°F and 46.4°F for up to 96 hours.
- Can you reuse old FedEx boxes for shipping?
FedEx lets you reuse old boxes for shipping if you remove old labels.
- What are the sizes of FedEx flat-rate boxes?
FedEx offers a variety of flat-rate boxes, ranging from small boxes that measure 8.75” x 2.62” x 11.25” to extra-large boxes with dimensions of 15.75” x 14.12” x 11.25”.
- Is it cheaper to use a FedEx box or your own?
Whether it’s cheaper to use a FedEx box or your own packaging depends on its price. Fortunately, FedEx does offer free shipping supplies and lets you reuse its old boxes, which can considerably reduce the cost.
- FedEx Box – Small
- FedEx Box – Medium
- An Ultimate Guide on WooCommerce FedEx Shipping
- FedEx Box – Large
- FedEx Tube
- FedEx Box – A4
- FedEx 10kg Box
- FedEx® 25kg Box
- FedEx 25kg Box
- What is dimensional weight?
- Boxes for packing, shipping & moving
- FedEx One Rate
- FedEx Packaging
- General Packaging Guidelines
- FedEx Jewelry Shipping Program
- FedEx® Clinical Pak
- FedEx history
- Benefits of Using FedEx Express Parcel Delivery Services
- Refrigerated and cold shipping
- FedEx shipping options
- Streamline your controlled export shipments
- Customer packaging guidelines