FedEx Home Delivery
November 13, 2023
While home deliveries have become an integral part of our modern-day convenience, the concept we take for granted today hadn’t been available for Americans until January 1, 1913.
The first “official” package was to someone’s doorstep on this momentous day. The parcel contained 11lbs of apples to Woodrow Wilson, the man who would become the 28th president of the United States.
Although the wholesome shipment was an incredible milestone then, this event marked the inception of the revolutionary service that FedEx (Federal Express) would later offer and that we would rely on today.
This article discusses the reliable and convenient mail delivery service that ensures your packages reach your doorstep safely and on time- FedEx Home Delivery.
Are you curious about other home delivery mailing options? Talk to a Postal Service representative. Visit FindPostOffice.org to narrow the list of over 31,000 post offices to your area’s most convenient locations.
What Is FedEx Home Delivery?
FedEx Home Delivery is an extension of its FedEx Ground service, a top-notch, cost-effective shipping option for commercial packages weighing up to 150lbs.
But as the name implies, FedEx Home Delivery is a mail delivery option specializing in sending parcels to residential addresses in all 50 U.S. states instead of commercial ones.
Specifications of FedEx Home Delivery
Here’s the gist of what you can expect when you ship a package through FedEx Home Delivery:
|Delivery Window||1 to 5-day delivery to the contiguous U.S., and 3 to 7 days to Alaska and Hawaii|
|Delivery Timings||Package shipping between 5 PM and 8 PM|
|Delivery Days||Mondays to Saturdays, and Sunday delivery to over 50% of U.S. residents|
|Delivery Area||All 50 U.S. states|
|Package Type||Maximum 150lbs in weight, 108” in length, and 165” in length and girth|
What Are the Benefits of FedEx Home Delivery? Why Use FedEx Home Delivery in the First Place?
FedEx Home Delivery offers various benefits compared to other FedEx services, making it the ideal choice for your shipping needs.
Here are some upsides to opting for FedEx Home Delivery:
- Faster delivery to residential locations: One of the critical advantages of FedEx Home Delivery is its impressive speed. FedEx Home Delivery offers quicker shipping times to more residential areas than its competitor UPS Ground.
- Expanded schedule for personal deliveries: Other carriers typically only provide Monday to Friday delivery. Saturday shipping may be available for an additional surcharge on some rare occasions.
However, FedEx Home Delivery gives you a shipping option for any day of the week. It also lets you set appointment deliveries, allowing you or the recipient to receive your packages at more convenient times.
- Reliable and secure service: With FedEx Home Delivery, you can rest easy knowing your shipments will arrive at their destination safely. FedEx offers tracking and the ability to manage your delivery by receiving alerts and giving special handling instructions.
- Extensive network: As part of the FedEx Corporation’s umbrella, the FedEx Home Delivery service benefits from an extensive nationwide network with over 2,000 FedEx office locations.
This vast reach enables efficient and widespread delivery coverage, ensuring your packages reach even the most remote destinations.
Types of FedEx Home Delivery Services
FedEx understands that every delivery and every shipper is unique, so it offers variations of the FedEx Home Delivery service to accommodate almost every situation.
Here are the three types of FedEx Home Delivery:
Date Certain Home Delivery
Do you need your packages to arrive on a specific date? With Date Certain Home Delivery, you can choose when your mailpiece reaches its intended destination. However, the date you choose must be within ten days of the pickup and cannot be before the standard shipping window.
Evening Home Delivery
If your customers have busy daytime schedules, Evening Home Delivery is the perfect solution for your business. This FedEx Home Delivery service variation lets you send parcels in the evening to match your recipient’s schedule.
Appointment Home Delivery
Choose the FedEx Appointment Home Delivery option to ensure your recipients receive packages that accommodate their busy schedules. With this service, FedEx will contact the intended receiver to schedule a convenient shipment.
What Days Are FedEx Home Delivery Services Available?
When FedEx introduced its Home Delivery option in 2000, deliveries were only available from Monday to Friday. Today, you can send a package any day of the year, excluding holidays, to residential addresses in the contiguous U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii.
Does FedEx Home Delivery Deliver on Saturday?
FedEx Home Delivery operates on Saturdays, offering shipping services to over 98% of the U.S. population at no additional cost, giving you the flexibility to send mail items over the weekend.
Does FedEx Home Delivery Deliver on Sunday?
While limited to around 50% of the U.S. population, Sunday deliveries are available through the FedEx Home Delivery service. In contrast, some couriers don’t offer shipping on Sundays.
How Late Does FedEx Home Delivery Deliver?
FedEx Home Delivery typically delivers packages until 8 PM, giving you and your recipients ample time to receive your shipments.
What Time Does FedEx Home Delivery Deliver?
While delivery times may depend on your location and the volume of packages, FedEx Home Delivery generally delivers during regular business hours and up to 8 PM.
How Long Does FedEx Home Delivery Usually Take?
Under normal circumstances, the delivery times with FedEx Home Delivery takes around 1 to 5 business days in the contiguous U.S. This delivery window extends between 3 and 7 days if you’re shipping to Alaskan and Hawaiian residential addresses.
However, various factors, such as the distance of the delivery area from the FedEx location and the selected delivery option, can influence the shipping speed. Fortunately, you can check estimated transit times with FedEx’s tracking number system.
How Do I Get My Packages to FedEx?
You have two options for getting your packages to FedEx- schedule a pickup with FedEx Express from your home or drop it off at a FedEx office. You can also give your mail items to participating retail stores, including Dollar General, Walgreens, and Albertsons.
When to Use FedEx Home Delivery
From FedEx Express, an air overnight delivery service, to FedEx Freight, a shipping option specializing in sending large package volumes, FedEx offers a variety of choices for all your shipping needs.
So you might be wondering, “When is the best time to use FedEx Home Delivery?” Here are some situations where it can be the perfect option:
- Shipping to a residential address: As its name suggests, FedEx Home Delivery is purpose-built for residential deliveries. In contrast, FedEx Ground and FedEx Office are your go-to options when sending packages to commercial and office addresses.
- Flexible schedule for personal deliveries: If you or your recipients require more flexibility in delivery timings, FedEx Home Delivery allows you to receive packages at times that suit you best.
- Weekend deliveries: Unlike FedEx’s other expedited shipping services like FedEx Standard Overnight, which only delivers between Monday and Friday and Saturdays in select areas, FedEx Home Delivery ships packages daily, including the weekends.
How Much Does FedEx Home Delivery Cost?
The shipping cost with FedEx Home Delivery depends on the package’s weight, size, delivery distance, and delivery speed, among various factors. That said, you can expect a $5.15 surcharge per package.
Let’s assume you’re sending a 70-lb mailpiece to Zone 5, which is 601 to 1,000 miles between the origin and destination. In this scenario, you’ll pay $58.99 ($53.84 base rate + $5.15 surcharge).
Note that these prices are based on FedEx’s May 31, 2023 price changes. For accurate and up-to-date information, you can refer to FedEx’s Standard List Rates. Alternatively, you can open a FedEx account, get a 50% discount, and use its shipping rate calculator.
Tracking Your Home Delivery Shipment
The peace of mind that comes with knowing the location of your package is invaluable. Fortunately, FedEx offers free tracking for many of its services, including its Home Delivery option.
Does FedEx Home Delivery Include Free Tracking Info?
When you ship an item through FedEx services, you’ll receive delivery details, including the recipient’s name, address, and unique tracking number. You can use this tracking information to monitor your shipment’s progress.
To begin tracking a package, you have the following options:
- Use FedEx’s online tracking tool.
- Download the FedEx mobile app.
- Text “follow” and your door tag number, the recipient’s address’ unique identifier, to 48773.
- Call FedEx’s customer service hotline at 1-800-GoFedEX (1-800-463-3339) and say, “Track my package.”
What Addresses Are Considered As Residential by FedEx?
FedEx considers private homes, such as apartments, condos, and school dormitories, residential addresses. However, businesses that operate from these residential properties, including convents, rectories, and parsonages, also qualify.
Locations That Are Not Considered Residential, and Thus, Do Not Qualify for FedEx Home Delivery.
Some addresses may not qualify as “residential” with FedEx Home Delivery. In these instances, you must ship packages through other FedEx services, such as FedEx Ground or FedEx Office.
Here are some locations that FedEx doesn’t consider residential addresses:
- Nursing homes
- Funeral homes
- Correctional facilities
- Government offices
- Retail shops
FedEx Ground vs. Home Delivery
While both services offer reliable deliveries, FedEx Home Delivery specifically caters to residential address shipments. On the other hand, FedEx Ground is more suitable for business addresses.
Here’s a quick overview of the differences between the two FedEx shipping options:
|FedEx Ground||FedEx Home Delivery|
|Where||To a business||To a residential address|
|Day||Monday to Friday||Every day of the week|
FedEx SmartPost vs. Home Delivery
FedEx Ground Economy, previously known as FedEx SmartPost, is a shipping service that combines FedEx and USPS (United States Postal Service) for residential deliveries.
While FedEx Ground Economy can be a cost-effective shipping option, it does lack some of the features that FedEx Home Delivery offers. These missing benefits include:
- Collect on delivery (COD)
- Money-back guarantee
- Signature confirmation
- Evening, appointment, or date-certain delivery
- Maximum package weight of 70lbs
Nonetheless, FedEx SmartPost does provide Monday to Sunday shipping, including 2- to 7-business-day delivery. For more information on this partnered mailing option, visit the USPS website.
Alternatively, you can inquire about FedEx Ground Economy at your local post office, which you can easily find using FindPostOffice.org’s USPS facility locator tool.
Understanding Tracking Terms and Delivery Status
FedEx Home Delivery’s tracking system provides essential information to help you stay updated on your package’s status. However, FedEx’s terminology may be confusing if you’re new to its services.
Let’s familiarize ourselves with what the delivery statuses mean, shall we?
What Does It Mean if I Get a Message That Says My Package Is in Transit?
When you receive a message stating that your package is “In transit,” it means it’s on its way to its final destination. However, this status may not necessarily indicate that your parcel is moving. Instead, it may be at one of FedEx’s facilities, undergoing sorting and processing.
What Does It Mean if I Get a Message That Says My Package Is Out for Delivery?
If you receive an “Out for delivery” message, a handler or a FedEx driver has scanned your package and loaded it onto a vehicle for the final delivery to the recipient’s doorstep.
What Does It Mean if I Get a Message That Says There Is No Scheduled Delivery Date at This Time?
When your package’s delivery status shows “No scheduled delivery date at this time,” FedEx either doesn’t have the mailpiece or an available delivery estimate. This message usually appears for shipment delays or handling exceptions like missing documentation.
What Does It Mean if I Get a Message That Says My Scheduled Delivery Is Now Pending?
If you receive the message “Your scheduled delivery is no pending,” it means the initial delivery date has changed due to some delay or unforeseen circumstance. FedEx will alert you of the new delivery date when the package is ready for final delivery.
What Does It Mean if I Get a Message That Says Delivery Exception?
A “Delivery exception” message indicates an unexpected event preventing the delivery process from resuming. These events include customs delays, holiday closures, or security restrictions.
Why Is My Package or Shipment Not Moving?
It’s common for a package to go without an update for more than 24 hours, particularly if sending it to a far location. The frequency of shipment scans varies, and there may be several reasons for the lack of updates, such as scanning or updating delays.
Fortunately, your package not moving is typically not a cause for concern. Know that FedEx is actively handling your parcel and will ensure it gets to the intended recipient securely.
If you have concerns, contact FedEx customer support at 1-800-GoFedEX (1-800-463-3339) for further assistance. For a FedEx SmartPost parcel, visit FindPostOffice.org to find your area’s most convenient post office locations.
Missed Delivery or Attempted Delivery
Sometimes, life gets busy, and you may miss a FedEx delivery. Fortunately, FedEx provides you with ways to retrieve your valuable package. Here’s what you can do:
Did You Receive a Door Tag for a Missed Delivery?
If a FedEx driver attempts to deliver your mailpiece and you weren’t there to receive it, they may leave a door tag. This unique identifier provides instructions on rescheduling the shipment or picking up your package at a nearby FedEx location.
How to Pick Up a Missed FedEx Package
If you missed the delivery and have the door tag, you can pick up your package at the designated FedEx location. You have seven days to do so until FedEx returns the mail item to the shipper.
Remember to bring the door tag, your parcel’s tracking information, and a government-issued photo I.D. when you visit the FedEx Office. If the address indicated on your I.D. doesn’t match your mailing address, you must bring documentation that does.
Why Is FedEx Holding My Package?
There may be various reasons why FedEx is holding your package at one of its facilities. For example, there might be a need for additional information or a requested vacation hold.
For more information, contact FedEx’s customer service hotline at 1-800-GoFedEX (1-800-463-3339). A USPS representative may assist you if FedEx keeps your FedEx Ground Economy shipment.
Find your area’s most convenient postal service facilities by visiting FindPostOffice.org and using the post office locator tool.
What to Do if Package Is Damaged, Lost, or Missing
You must file a refund claim if your package is damaged, lost, or missing. Contact FedEx customer service or fill out a claim form to initiate the claims process. You only have 21 days after the delivery date to file a claim.
Is FedEx Home Delivery Guaranteed?
Unfortunately, FedEx suspended its money-back guarantee on some mail delivery options, like FedEx Ground, which includes FedEx Home Delivery. In other words, you may not be eligible for a claim if your FedEx Home Delivery package doesn’t arrive on the delivery date.
The FedEx services that currently have money-back guarantees include the following:
- FedEx First Overnight
- FedEx Priority Overnight
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- FedEx First Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx Priority Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx Standard Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx International First
- FedEx International Priority
- FedEx International Priority Express
- FedEx International Priority Freight
Other FedEx Shipping Services
While the FedEx Home Delivery shipping service offers excellent benefits, it may not meet your needs. Fortunately, FedEx provides various other mailing options, including the following:
- FedEx Overnight: The FedEx Overnight service offers fast and reliable delivery the next day. Whether it’s urgent documents, time-sensitive packages, or essential shipments, this option ensures your parcels reach their destination promptly and securely.
- FedEx 2Day: For cost-effective and time-specific deliveries, the FedEx 2Day service is a perfect choice, as it delivers your package within two business days without the premium cost of next-day delivery.
- FedEx Express Saver: If you’re looking for an economical option for domestic shipping, the FedEx Express Saver service offers cost-effective delivery in just three days, striking the perfect balance between affordability and expedited transit times.
- FedEx International Priority: For shipments beyond borders, whether you have urgent business shipments or personal packages going overseas, FedEx International Priority ensures delivery in 1 to 3 days.
- What are FedEx store hours?
The operating hours of FedEx stores may differ depending on the location. For instance, the New York office opens from 9 AM to 7 PM on weekdays, from 10 AM to 6 PM on Saturdays, and remains closed on Sundays.
Call FedEx’s customer service for your nearest facility’s store hours or visit the FedEx website and use its Find FedEx Locations tool.
- What is FedEx address validation service, and how does it help?
The FedEx Address Validation Service ensures the mailing address you’re shipping to is accurate by formatting it to fit FedEx standards.
- How costly is residential shipping compared to commercial shipping?
The cost of FedEx Home Delivery is the same as that of FedEx Ground delivery. However, FedEx does have a residential surcharge of $5.15. In short, the shipping rate of FedEx Home Delivery is identical to FedEx Ground, plus $5.15.
- Does FedEx Home Delivery support collect on delivery?
FedEx Home Delivery offers COD services for added convenience. The services that don’t include COD are FedEx Priority Overnight and FedEx Freight to Collect (FTC).
- Does FedEx Home Delivery support FedEx One Rate?
Unfortunately, FedEx Home Delivery doesn’t support FedEx One Rate services. FedEx One Rate is typically available for FedEx Express services, such as FedEx SameDay, FedEx 2Day, and FedEx Standard Overnight.
- Do I have to be at home to accept FedEx Home Delivery packages?
Whether you must be present at the mailing address to receive your FedEx Home Delivery package depends on whether the shipment includes signature confirmation. Otherwise, you don’t.
You can use the FedEx Delivery Manager service to customize your delivery preferences, such as setting up evening, appointment, or certain-date shipping, and receive notifications about your packages.
- What’s the delivery time when shipping within the contiguous U.S.?
The transit time for shipping through FedEx Home Delivery within the contiguous U.S. is 1 to 5 business days.
- What’s the transit time when shipping to or from Alaska or Hawaii?
When shipping to or from Alaska or Hawaii, expect your mail items to arrive within 3 to 7 days with FedEx Home Delivery.
- What’s the FedEx Home Delivery weight limit?
The maximum weight you can send through the FedEx Home Delivery service is 150lbs.
- Do P.O. boxes accept FedEx shipments?
Unfortunately, P.O. boxes generally only accept packages from USPS. That said, if the P.O. box has a street address, it may receive mail items from other carriers, including FedEx.
- Can I ship hazardous materials through FedEx Home Delivery?
Except for ORM-D (other regulated materials for domestic transport only) and limited-quantity items, such as charcoal and aerosol cans, you cannot use FedEx Home Delivery to ship hazardous materials (HAZMAT).
- My recipients need their package on a specific date. What can I do?
If your recipient wants to receive your package on a specific date, use FedEx Date-Certain Home Delivery.
- My recipient won’t be home during the day to accept the delivery. What can I do?
You can use FedEx Evening Home Delivery or FedEx Appointment Home Delivery to schedule a convenient delivery time when your recipient is available.
- How can my recipient know when their package will be delivered?
With FedEx Home Delivery’s tracking number, your recipient can monitor the parcel’s progress through the online tracking tool and the mobile app or by texting or calling FedEx customer service.
- The First Packages
- Woodrow Wilson
- FedEx Home Delivery®
- FedEx Ground
- FedEx Company Structure and Facts
- FedEx History
- FedEx Saturday and Sunday Delivery
- FedEx Tracking
- FedEx Overnight Shipping
- FedEx® Standard List Rates
- FedEx rate changes
- FedEx Door Tag FAQs
- FedEx Tracking Guide
- FedEx Home Delivery: Guide for WooCommerce & Shopify
- FedEx Ground Economy
- FedEx SmartPost® List Rates and Zone Chart
- FedEx Customer Support FAQs
- FedEx Money-Back Guarantee
- FedEx 2 day shipping
- FedEx Express Saver® 3 day shipping
- FedEx International delivery in 1, 2 or 3 business days
- FedEx Office Print & Ship Center
- FedEx Address Validation Service
- FedEx Collect On Delivery (COD)
- FedEx One Rate®: predictable flat rate shipping
- FedEx Express shipping
- USPS PO Boxes